Canterbury is a beautiful city but graffiti, chewing gum, lack of floral displays in summer and Christmas decorations in winter all make the city less attractive. The general appearance of Canterbury can be enhanced for everyone. We need an environment that is clean, safe and welcoming from early morning to late at night, making Canterbury a great place to visit and a place where people want to stay longer.
The BID will:
- Provide additional cleaning services –Provide additional cleaning services to complement those already provided by the City Council.
- Improve the subways – Work with Canterbury City Council (CCC) and Kent County Council (KCC) to develop a programme of regular cleansing and look at how to increase the ‘sense of safety’ for users at all times. The BID will be clear not to invest resource in areas that are the accountability of the statutory agencies.
- Floral displays – Invest in significant floral displays each summer to enhance the street scene.
- Invest in a safer city – Work with District Watch and Kent Police to reduce retail crime, street crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Support the evening/late night economy – Ensure that the city builds on its reputation as a ‘great night out’.
- BID Ambassadors – Deploy a team of BID Street Ambassadors to support, liaise and communicate with levy payers; to work with the statutory authorities on issues raised by levy payers; and to provide a welcome to visitors at busy times and during events.