Canterbury Bid

Support Directory

Here at the BID, we know that sometimes you just need to know who to call to sort out issues that can arise, from graffiti removal to antisocial behaviour. Below you will find information on who does what in the city.

Security & Crime

Calling the Police

When to call 101 – Call 101 when reporting a crime and other concerns that don’t require an emergency response. For example:

  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing
  • Give the police information on crime
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

Calls to 101 are answered by police officers and staff in the control room of the local police force. This ensures staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with calls appropriately. These reports can also be made using the Kent Police Online Reporting Tool.

If you prefer to report a crime anonymously you can visit Crime Stoppers

When to call 999 – Always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

District Watch

The local Business Crime Prevention partnership, District Watch operates a membership based radio link scheme across the city centre to reduce crime and keep the city safe. / 07823 442 110 /

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

“Behaviour by a person which is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the person.”

This can include aggressive behaviour, swearing in public, begging, graffiti, busking in contravention of the local voluntary code (too loud, persistent, poor quality) or driving/cycling through the city outside permitted hours. In most cases, you will call 101 to report this type of behaviour and even though it is unlikely you will get an immediate response, it is important that a record is made of these instances for future reference. If you or a member of your staff feel threatened however, call 999. Canterbury City Council has a Report It page on their website so you can give them details of the issue.

Street Begging is common in the city centre and is likely to be made an offence under the new Public Space Protection Order(PSPO). The organisations who work with people on the street all say that giving to beggars,while a matter of individual choice, actually does more harm than good, enabling individuals to continue lifestyles, often with significant substance abuse, rather than seeking help and support. The BID runs the MyCanterbury platform and donations can be made through via the website (search for Givelocal or click here). All the money is divided between Catching Lives and  Porchlight with no administration fee.

Modern Slavery

Is an unseen crime and if you suspect it you can contact the charities:



The threat of terror attacks must be regarded as ever present, you can check the current threat levels in the terrorism and national emergencies on the GOV.UK website .

You can find more information on what to look out for on the MI5 website and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack on the National Counter Terrorism Security Office website.

If you’ve seen or heard something that could potentially be related to terrorism, trust your instincts and report it. You can do so by calling  the police in confidence on 0800 789 321 or reporting it online. In an emergency call 999.

Major incidents: City Centre evacuation and Business Continuity

Major incidents cannot always be predicted and the response depends on the nature of the threat.The City Council leads on multi-agency planning, and all responding agencies have individual response plans in place. It is also recommended that all businesses ensure they have Business Continuity plans to help with the recovery from a potential incident.

For more information, please contact the City Council’s Emergency Planning Officer via

Emergency Trauma Pack

By having an Emergency Trauma Packs, first responders, businesses, and members of the public will have the tools readily-available to respond in the event of knife assault, road traffic collision, terrorist attack. Each pack is stocked with a collection of specialist medical equipment to treat casualties. The locations of Trauma Packs:

  • Marlowe Theatre (by the box office)
  • Canterbury Cathedral (Constable’s Lodge No 1)
  • Canterbury Cathedral (Postern gate at top of Burgate)


In case of cardiac arrest, you need to call 999. Location of city centre defibrillators:

  • Cathedral x 1
  • Marlowe Theatre x 2
  • Canterbury Council x 1
  • Friends Meeting House x1
  • Unicorn Pub x1
  • The Beaney
  • Whitefriars

Street Cleaning, Waste Removal & Trade Waste

Canenco is the City Council’s contractor for all street cleaning and waste collection in the District, including the city centre. Trade waste is the responsibility of individual businesses.

Canenco also offer a graffiti cleaning service on behalf of the City Council, which is free for the first two hours or 5 square metres up to two times a year. To do so, they need a waiver from you which you can fill in and return to and You can also apply for this service online using CCC’s Graffiti Removal Reporting Tool.

To report a problem with cleansing in the city centre, including graffiti, over-flowing bins or poor cleansing, or safety issues (e.g. discarded hypodermic needles) go online to or call 01227 947860.

Business Support

Promotion on MyCanterbury

The BID runs MyCanterbury, which is a website, app and series of printed City Guides which replaced the old-style Residents Card. It’s a way of joining up businesses and customers; for businesses, it’s easy to use, cheap and immediate. This allows their store or service to be found by our app and website users. The £25/month MyCanterbury package is FREE for BID members. Find out more here

Business Rates and BID Levy

Business rates and the BID Levy are collected locally by East Kent Services (EKS) on behalf of Canterbury City Council.

Automated payment: 01227 862 427

BID Levy queries: 01227 862 316 or 01227 862 326 

To change correspondence address: click here

If you are moving in or out of a property click here

If you think your business is entitled to the small business rate relief, but are not receiving it, complete a ‘Contact the Business Rates Team’ online form and they will review and if applicable, award the discount.

Utility advice

Local company, ZTP, help BID levy payers reduce their utility bills where possible. They offer a free utility cost evaluation service for BID businesses and no fee is charged by ZTP to BID levy payers. This service is part of making Canterbury a Great Centre for Business. There are over 650 businesses in the BID area and we want to help you survive and thrive.

ZTP are an Energy Management business with offices in the Canterbury BID area and London. They have already helped over 20 BID businesses save money on utilities – an average annual savings of over £1,000 per site. This is a free, no obligation service. Find out more here.

Startmybiz and Growmybiz

Local support services for business based at Canterbury City Council with information on everything you need to start and grow your business.

01227 862532 or

Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce

The only accredited Chamber in the county with over 1,200 members in Kent and Medway

01233 503 838 or

Federation of Small Business (FSB)

The FSB is dedicated to helping small businesses achieve their ambitions.

01622 688 134 or

Transport & Access

Car parking

Car parking is owned and managed by the City Council. The following Canterbury car parks have Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). Register for an account here

  • Castle Row
  • Castle Street multi-storey
  • Longport
  • Millers Field
  • Pound Lane
  • Queningate
  • St Radigunds
  • Station Road West multi-storey
  • Watling Street
  • Park and Ride sites

Business Permit – If you work in Canterbury and need your vehicle as part of your daily job, you can apply for a business parking permit. Your employer will need to be registered for business rates. To find out more click here.

Traffic regulations

City Centre Bollards Scheme went live on the 23 November 2020. Deliveries to residents living in and businesses trading within the pedestrianised zone will only be allowed between 4pm and 10.30am every day. Emergency access between 10.30am and 4pm can be requested here

  • Canterbury City Council: 01227 862 000
  • Kent County Council (Highways Authority): 03000 41 81 81


It is common to see people sleeping rough in the city centre. Numbers have increased nationally in recent years and Canterbury has seen that growth locally. However, a significant effort is made in the city to support people who find themselves in this situation.

In addition to the City Council, Canterbury has two organisations which deal with this issue, Catching Lives who run the Day Centre at the East Station and Porchlight which manages a range of programmes and accommodation schemes to help vulnerable individuals in the city and across the county. To donate to both these excellent charities click here.

If you are concerned about an individual you see sleeping rough in the city or have issues with persistent rough sleeping on or near your premises then please report it via Street Link .

Council Services

Contact DetailsServices
Kent County Council 03000 418181
Brexit advice for businesses
Business Support
Business loans and funding
Business licences and registration
Health and safety advice
Report a problem on a road or pavement
Trading Standards
Grow your business
Canterbury City Council01227 862000
Bins and waste
Business and investment
Covid-19 Advice and support for businesses
Environmental Health
Licences and permissions
Parking and roads
Pavement licences
Planning and building
A Boards – Contact Canterbury City Council. Businesses must comply with the KCC requirements here.