Canterbury Bid

Grants for SMEs

Locase - Low Carbon Across the South East

Kent County Council launched a 3 year EU funded programme called ‘Low Carbon Across the South East’ (LoCASE). Totalling over £18.5 million and funded by the European Regional Development Fund 2014 – 2020, this project will be able to provide support to your business in a number of ways:

  1. The provision of two types of grant funding (up to a maximum of £10k) that can be awarded to your organisation to improve business performance in terms of profitability, resilience and competitiveness, at the same time as contributing to the protection and preservation of the environment. This grant funding will form 40% of the cost of your eligible project, with the remaining 60% matched by your business; i. Any business can qualify to use this money toward having energy efficiency measures installed for their business, with both the cost of materials and installation being covered. ii. If your business offers low carbon goods or services, a business development grant is available to you. You can claim against eligible costs such as marketing, consultancy, equipment, IT software, licences, training and certification. In both cases, money cannot be allocated retrospectively.
  2. The Steps To Environmental Management (STEM) scheme can help your business to build an environmental management system aligned with the requirements of ISO 14001, or redesign an existing system using provided tools and templates. Workshops will be laid on free of charge, which focus on each of the three stages of the scheme so you are able to progress at your own speed. This longstanding scheme is being updated to ensure it stays relevant with the new formulation of ISO 14001 and also incorporates business resilience information.
  3. The potential for your business to have a graduate to work with your company on an appropriate project, bringing their technical and academic knowledge to bear whilst receiving experience from working within your business.
  4. A number of events and conferences will be supported by the project to help share information about the low carbon market including technologies and procurement whilst also providing you the chance to network with other businesses. This project is being delivered by Kent County Council in partnership with Essex County Council, Southend-On-Sea Borough Council, Thurrock Council, East Sussex County Council and the University of Brighton.

To be eligible for support, you simply have to meet the definition of an SME and have your business located in one of the following areas: Kent and Medway, Essex, Thurrock, Southend and/or East Sussex.

If you would like to express an interest in taking up any of the support available, contact the Low Carbon Kent Team, Kent County Council, 1st Floor Invicta House, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1XX. Tel: 03000 415111, Email: or contact Lisa Carlson at Canterbury Connected BID to find out more.

Programme Launched in June 2016.

eu_developmentfund The Low Carbon Across the South East Programme has been funded by the European Regional Development Fund 2014-20. It is a partnership between Kent County Council, East Sussex County Council, Essex County Council, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, Thurrock Council and the University of Brighton.

You Might Also Like