Canterbury Bid

Who ya gonna call?

Basic CMYK

Here at the BID, we know that sometimes you just need to know who to call to sort out issues that can arise, from graffiti removal to antisocial behaviour.

Below you will find information on who does what in the city and who to call. To request a hard copy, email us on or ring 01227 787 055.


Calling the Police

When to call 101
Call 101 when reporting a crime and other concerns that don’t require an emergency response. For example:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing
  • Give the police information on crime
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

Calls to 101 are answered by police officers and staff in the control room of the local police force. This ensures staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with calls appropriately. These reports can also be made using the Kent Police Online Reporting Tool.

When to call 999
Always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

District Watch

The local Business Crime Prevention partnership, District Watch operates a membership based radio link scheme across the city centre to reduce crime and keep the city safe.

07823 442 110

Major incidents: City Centre evacuation and Business Continuity:

Major incidents cannot always be predicted and the response depends on the nature of the threat.The City Council leads on multi-agency planning, and all responding agencies have individual response plans in place. It is also recommended that all businesses ensure they have Business Continuity plans to help with the recovery from a potential incident.

For more information, please contact the City Council’s Emergency Planning Officer via

Street Cleaning, Waste Removal & Trade Waste

Serco is the City Council contractor for all street cleaning and waste collection in the District, including the city centre. Trade waste is the responsibility of individual businesses and Serco offer this service commercially as well.

Serco also offer a graffiti cleaning service on behalf of the City Council, which is free for the first two hours or 5 square metres. To do so, they need a waiver from you which you can fill in and return to You can also apply for this service online using CCC’s Graffiti Removal Reporting Tool.

Please note: Due to the pandemic, CCC are only able to remove offensive graffiti.

To report a problem with cleansing in the city centre, including graffiti, over flowing bins or poor cleansing, or safety issues (e.g. discarded hypodermic needles) call 0800 031 9091.

Business Support

Promotion on MyCanterbury

The BID runs MyCanterbury, which is a website, app and series of printed City Guides which replaced the old-style Residents Card. It’s a way of joining up businesses and customers; for businesses, it’s easy to use, cheap and immediate. This allows their store or service to be found by our app and website users. The £25/month MyCanterbury package is FREE for BID members. Find out more here

Utility advice

Local company, ZTP, help BID levy payers reduce their utility bills where possible. They offer a free utility cost evaluation service for BID businesses and no fee is charged by ZTP to BID levy payers. This service is part of making Canterbury a Great Centre for Business. There are over 650 businesses in the BID area and we want to help you survive and thrive.

ZTP are an Energy Management business with offices in the Canterbury BID area and London. They have already helped over 20 BID businesses save money on utilities – an average annual savings of over £1,000 per site. This is a free, no obligation service. Find out more here.

Startmybiz and Growmybiz

Local support services for business based at Canterbury City Council with information on everything you need to start and grow your business.

01227 862 532

Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce

The only accredited Chamber in the county with over 1,200 members in Kent and Medway

01233 503 838

Federation of Small Business (FSB)

The FSB is dedicated to helping small businesses achieve their ambitions.

01622 688 134

Business Rates

Business rates are collected locally by East Kent Services (EKS).

Automated payment: 01227 862 427
Levy queries: 01227 862 316 / 862 326 (EKS is the BID collection agent) 

To change correspondence address click here

If someone is moving in or out of a property click here

If you think your business is entitled to the small business rate relief, but are not receiving it, complete a ‘Contact the Business Rates Team’ online form and they will review and if applicable, award the discount.

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

“Behaviour by a person which is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the person.”

In Canterbury, this can include aggressive behaviour, swearing in public, begging, graffiti, busking in contravention of the local voluntary code (too loud, persistent, poor quality) or driving/cycling through the city outside permitted hours. In most cases, you will call 101 to report this type of behaviour and even though it is unlikely you will get an immediate response, it is important that a record is made of these instances for future reference. If you or a member of your staff feel threatened however, call 999. Report it Canterbury City Council has a Report It page on their website so you can give them details of the issue. Go to:

Street Begging is common in the city centre and is likely to be made an offence under the new Public Space Protection Order(PSPO). The organisations who work with people on the street all say that giving to beggars,while a matter of individual choice, actually does more harm than good, enabling individuals to continue lifestyles, often with significant substance abuse, rather than seeking help and support. The BID runs the MyCanterbury platform and donations can be made through via the website (search for Givelocal or click here). All the money is divided between Catching Lives and  Porchlight with no administration fee.

Transport & Access

Car parking

Car parking is owned and managed by the City Council, with the exception of the Whitefriars car park which is managed by Whitefriars. Prices range from £1.40 per hour- £1.80 per hour, with the three Park & Ride sites offering £3 all day up to 4pm.

The following car parks now have Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). Register for an account here

  • St Radigunds
  • Wincheap Park and Ride
  • Sturry Road Park and Ride
  • New Dover Road Park and Ride
  • Longport
  • Miller’s Field

If you created an account during the trial period (2018) in Pound Lane or Castle Street you’ll need to use continue to use your existing account (for those car parks only), until they switch to the new technology.

Traffic regulations:

Canterbury city centre is a pedestrian friendly area and vehicles and cycles are only allowed access at certain times as follows*:

High Street from Rose Lane to the Westgate: before 10.30am and after 4.30pm. Exemptions for emergency services, cash in transit and designated residents.

Canterbury City Council: 01227 862 000

Kent County Council (Highways Authority): 08458 247 247


It is common to see people sleeping rough in the city centre. Numbers have increased nationally in recent years and Canterbury has seen that growth locally. However, a significant effort is made in the city to support people who find themselves in this situation.

In addition to the City Council, Canterbury has two organisations which deal with this issue, Catching Lives who run the Day Centre at the East Station and Porchlight which manages a range of programmes and accommodation schemes to help vulnerable individuals in the city and across the county. To donate to both these excellent charities click here.

If you are concerned about an individual you see sleeping rough in the city or have issues with persistent rough sleeping on or near your premises then please report it via Street Link .

Legal Requirements

Kent County Council Trading Standards

08458 247 247

Canterbury City Council

01227 862000

Licensing & Environmental Health

A Boards:

Contact Canterbury City Council. Businesses must comply with the KCC requirements here.

Health & Safety

Canterbury City Council

Health & Safety Executive